I’m sorry, but I have been keeping a secret. It’s neither deep nor dark, but something you aught to know
I’m running a marathon.
It’s a a trail marathon.
It’s less than 2 weeks away.
I am quaking in my running shoes just thinking about it.
The race is in Eastern Oregon and boasts of a 2500-foot elevation climb in the first 13 miles. It also boasts of a 2500-foot elevation drop in the second 13 miles and a beautiful view if you can stop staring at the single track long enough to appreciate it. Past participants have raved about the terrific post-race party, numerous cowbells and a great race atmosphere. Obviously this will be nothing like The Boston Marathon. Instead I’ll be running in a group of less than 200 runners. Apparently everyone else runs the less grueling 1/2 marathon. If only I were so smart!
In an effort to battle my pre-pre race jitters, I’ve come up with a list of why this marathon will rock.
1. It’s my first trail marathon and as such I have no expectations. I am going out to have a great time.
2. My training has never been so good. Thanks to Team Red Lizard, Phil Buddy, some nice running folks/buddies and some great support, I’ve been healthy, happy and getting faster.
3. My mom and dad will be there to cheer me on. This is definitely a coup as my parents are pretty much the best cheerleaders in the entire galaxy. No joke. My mom’s nickname is “The Woo Woo Lady.”
4. A trail marathon will make a road marathon look like a piece of delicious chocolate cake.
5. Finally. after flirting with trail running all summer, this trail marathon will give me a chance to test my committment to the off-road endurance races. Who knows, maybe a 50K will be in my future.