1. Because I want to be a better version of myself.
2. Because I want to have something to talk to my co-workers about.
3. Because I want to celebrate with a well-deserved bottle of red wine and a good dinner.
4. Because I want to know I can do it.
5. Because training for a marathon gives me confidence. Running a marathon gives me even more.
6. Because I like the race shirt.
7. Because I want to reach the top of the 2500 foot elevation climb and pump my fists like Rocky.
8. Because if 26.2 miles on the road is hard what will 26.2 miles on the trails be like?
9. Because my trail running shoes (The Hulks) have been asking why we haven’t raced together yet.
10. Because nothing tastes better after a marathon than salty chips and almond M&Ms.
11. Because when I run I feel more alive, even when it feels like I’m dying.
12. Because 26.2 miles might hurt like hell, but the afterglow lasts for weeks.
13. Because I’ve spent months building up calluses – it’s time to put them to use.
14. Because I like any excuse to use Body Glide and GU.
15. Because I like laying out all my clothes the night before.
16. Because my mom will be there yelling “Chugga Chugga Woooo Woooo!”
17. Because my dad, two-time marathon finisher, understands better than anyone, what it’s likes to hit the wall.
18. Because I get to listen to my “Ultimate Running” mix cd.
19. Because I love race schwag.
20. Because I love that special connection I feel with other runners.
21. So I can have something to write about on my blog
22. So I can look myself in the mirror and feel happy.
23. Because it’s fun – at least in theory, right?
24. Because “fast” and “strong” are not adjectives I use to describe myself. Even if I do become “fast” and “strong” that’s not what it’s ultimately about, is it? It’s about the journey I take to get there.
25. Because I need to be more present.
26. Because I didn’t have anything else planned for that weekend.
26.2. Because running makes me happy.