I “raced” the Capitol Peak Mega Fat Ass 14 Mile Trail Race on Saturday because:
1. I really enjoyed saying “I’m running the Capitol Peak Mega Fat Ass 14-Miler.” Clearly I need more excuses to work Mega Fat Ass into my conversations.
2. Entry fee was $5. That’s less than a going to see a movie!
3. Because there was a potluck at the finish line.
4. It looked like it was going to be a muddy mess of a good time.
5. Waking up at 4 AM to get to the race on time only added to the hard core quality of the race.
This was the polar opposite of most “organized” races. There were no bib numbers, t-shirts, timing chips or aid stations. It basically amounted to 80 trail runners deciding to meet at the same place and the same time to run approximately the same course. It was fantastic.
The course consisted of sloppy single-track, muddy bits, snow sections, some rolling hills, a sustained uphill climb and some fallen trees to be jumped over. I went out WAY too fast and didn’t find a comfortable pace until about the fifth mile. Despite feeling like my legs were made of lead for some of the course, I managed to complete the 14-mile course in 2:06:
First Place Female for the 14 mile loop.
Not too shabby!