I recently was talking with another runner about favorite post-run foods, evening snacks and favorite quick meals. That, of course, got me thinking about my own top favorite foods (there are too many) and which ones are a bit out of the ordinary (there are also too many!). So here is my quick list of running-friendly foods that I love to consume.
1. Sardines – but I can’t eat them at work for the obvious and odoriferous reasons
2. Pureed butternut squash – topped with toasted pumpkin seeds and drizzled with maple syrup makes a great breakfast
3. Dandelion Tea – kind of cleans the system and tastes like mud, but in a good way.
4. Coconut Bliss ice cream. It’s like regular ice cream, just made out of coconut milk instead. It’s about my favorite post-track workout treat.
5. Turkey and cabbage soup. I make it about once every two weeks in my slow cooker. It always tastes better on the second day.
6. Fennel slices and turkey slices for breakfast. It’s light and crunchy and high in protein.
7. Dark chocolate. Lots of it. Especially the Dagoba chai/lavendar combo! It’s delicious.
8. Rice crackers
9. Rainbow chard and bacon
10. Coffee (obviously)
11. A big, yummy steak after a long run.
13. French fries on special occassions
14. Eggs for dinner. Eggs for breakfast. Eggs for lunch. I can’t think of many ways I don’t like eggs.
15. And when I really need a fix – a banana slathered in almond butter or sunflower seed butter.