So many post-worthy things to discuss. Let’s summarize.
1. I ran 74.5 miles, took 17 showers, ate 3 candy bars and 9 bananas.
2. I ate sardines for lunch on Thursday and then went out and ran a very fast 11-mile tempo run at sub marathon pace after work. Coincidence? Hardly. Sardines just might be my power food. The tempo run was smoking… not that I can tell you my marathon pace, because. . .
3. Apparently, I’m a crazy, whacked-out superstitious runner. Or so says my friends. My first reaction was, “What? Me! Superstitious? No way…” But then specific examples were cited: the lucky earrings, the arm warmers, the dancing to Ice Cube’s “You Can Do It,” before every long run, the eating of pureed butternut squash for breakfast, and the refusal to say my marathon goal time out loud for fear that I will hex myself and the race. Superstitious… hardly!
4. I re-discovered Nuun tablets. I don’t use them during my runs, but I drink a glass of Nuun afterward and it seems like my night cramps have eased. Thanks, Nuun!
5. And tonight I almost started crying while watcing Nova’s “Marathon Challenge.” I couldn’t help it. Have YOU watched it? The program takes 13 phsyically inactive, self-admitted couch potatoes and gets them running. They all looked so tired and proud when they finished their marathon – it was wonderful and it reminded me why I like doing marathons. It was exactly what I needed to see as I begin to taper and fret about my marathon goals.